Monday, October 8, 2012

Louise Crisafi points me in the right direction


Tell Her You Love Her

In a marriage or any intimate relationship, silence is not golden.  The strong silent type need not apply for the position of husband, lover, best friend, confidante, caregiver, and supporter of a woman with breast cancer.  Your bride, your wife, your partner needs and wants to hear from you.  Actions may speak louder than words, and you may take all the right actions, but speaking words brings comfort, reassurance, and knowledge of your inner feelings.  She cannot read your mind.  Being there for her is more than physical or economic security.  Words have meaning.  And the three most important words in the English language at this time, at this moment, when together you face her mortality, are: “I love you.”

The late Louise Crisafi, a saint here on Earth, always giving of herself for others in need, taught me this lesson on the Friday Shirley had her biopsy and was diagnosed, having opted for what was  then a new two-step process. This meant we knew on Friday that she would have a mastectomy on Monday, a weekend together, scared, anxious, frightened.  For Shirley, confronting death and permanent loss of part of her womanhood.  For me,  just at a loss and floundering, not knowing what to do or what to say.

Louise was an American Cancer Society Reach to Recovery volunteer, as well as a YWCA Encore volunteer leader, devoted to helping other women facing breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.  She was a good friend and confidante.  When I asked Louise what to do feeling as helpless and overwhelmed as I was, she said simply: “Tell her you love her.”  I was off to the races.  I spent the weekend saying those magic, powerful words over and over, as frequently as possible, perhaps more than I had done in weeks, months or years previously.

A year or so later in a television talk show featuring three women with breast cancer, including Louise, Shirley reminisced about how verbal I had become that fateful first weekend.  Those words brought comfort and made a difference.  Say “I love you.”  It works.  And I hope I do so as much or more today.






No comments: